[TowerTalk] Van Gordon 1:1

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Van Gordon 1:1
From: w7ry@centurytel.net (Jim)
Date: Thu Jul 17 21:18:48 2003
I have cut several Van Gordon baluns apart.
They are tri-filer wound with #14 on a 3/4" PVC pipe form about 2.5 to 3"
long.

Pretty simple.

The worst problem that I have had with many balun manufactures, including
the W2DU blaun (both styles, dipole and yagi) is that where the connections
are soldered to the top "eyes" is usually poorly soldered. I've Had several
of the W2DU baluns fail at that point.

In my opinion, if a balun doesn't have wires coming out of the balun
housing, soldered to the internal windings, it's worthless. Too much to go
wrong when you rely on a stainless eye that is through plastic.

73
Jim W7RY