[TowerTalk] Van Gordon 1:1

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Van Gordon 1:1
From: richard@karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Fri Jul 18 01:06:46 2003
> I have cut several Van Gordon baluns apart.
> They are tri-filer wound with #14 on a 3/4" PVC pipe form about 2.5 to 3"
> long.

These baluns have two major disadvanges:

1.  They are *voltage* baluns.  In all antenna applications
I know of, you want a *current* balun.

2.  They have excessive leakage and magnetizing inductance.
This causes them to seriously decrease the bandwidth of
your antenna.

You will be much happier by simply winding 10 or 15 turns
of RG-58 around a 2.4 inch Fair-Rite 43 toroid.  You can
mount it in a PVC pipe yourself if you like that kind
of packaging.

Rick N6RK