[TowerTalk] Baluns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Baluns
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (Dan)
Date: Sun Jul 20 13:48:39 2003
I recently purchased Sevicks new book "Understanding,Building, and Using Baluns
and Ununs" . It covers designs with ratios from 1 up to 16. I particularly like
the fact that he talks about power ratings and the effect of mismatch
terminations on baluns and ununs. He discusses various commercial baluns and he
is quite outspoken about the weaknesses in  many of them. For 1:1 use, he rates
the W1JR balun design as superior and devotes quite a bit of space to it. His
measurements showed no advantage to the cross over design versus the
conventional progressive winding but the crossover system does bring the ends
of the coax out on opposite sides of the core, a mechanical convenience.
  Fortunately for us, the W1JR design is very simple to build and I plan to
continue using it and retiring my ferrite bead jobs.

73, Dan, N5AR