[TowerTalk] Re: (Tower Talk) Antenna element vibration damping -How

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: (Tower Talk) Antenna element vibration damping -How
From: w5vx@HILINE.NET (Bill)
Date: Sun Aug 10 23:11:58 2003
Bob, et al,

I'm not sure either. I am about 75 miles from the gulf and the weather is
pretty moderate. Usually not a lot of wind but pretty consistent. We do get
a breeze in the evenings off the gulf but not a wind. All of my antennas
were on the same tower, 90' of Rohn 25. I was pretty irritated when Hygain
told me that they had never heard of this problems before! However, I do
know individuals who have used the highain monobanders with absolutely no
problems, go figure! When I put up my C3 on that tower the problems with the
vibration stopped. Actually, the element tips did not come loose, they broke
off... usually immediately next to where they went into the next piece of
alunimum tubing.

I have moved since and put up 120' of Rohn 25 with a C3E at the top of the
tower and a Hygain 2 ele 40 above. I was real worried about the 40 so I used
the rope, hose clamps, and I riveted each piece of aluminum. I also covered
the hose clamps with Scotch 88. No problems of any kind with either antenna.

Bill, W5VX