[TowerTalk] Chicago Tribune: Antenna Stirs Static Among Neighbors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Chicago Tribune: Antenna Stirs Static Among Neighbors
From: wrt@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Wed Aug 13 15:00:38 2003
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:16:04 -0700 (PDT), "N6KJ"
<kelly@thejohnsons.ws> wrote:

>What happened to "Freedom" and "Personal Property Rights"?
Surely you jest.  You are "free" to obey the law, just like everyone
else.  Your "Personal Property Rights" are what the gummint says they
are, no more and no less.  Did you honestly think otherwise?  This IS
a democracy, and the majority rules.  If the majority says no towers,
goodbye towers.

>Zoning boards have gone way overboard.  Where does control end?  I keep hearing
>this word "eyesore" thrown around.  Well, I happen to find tall towers
>quite beautiful.
So do I, but you and I are in the minority.  See the above.

>People pay money to fly to Paris and look at that
>big "eyesore" called the Eiffel Tower.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Surprised?

>People pay millions of dollars to buy homes in the San Francisco Marina
>district where they have a view of the Golden Gate Bridge out
>the front door.
Try putting up a tower which blocks that view.  See the above.

>I happen to think the color of my neighbors house is an "eyesore",
> but I don't feel it is my right to control everything they do.
Really?  Suppose he decided to paint his house with pornographic
images ten feet tall?  Would you feel the "right" to control what he
does?  It's a matter of where the line is drawn, not whether the line
exists.

>Who died and left "City Planners" in charge?
Nobody died, but they *are* in charge, thanks to yourself and all the
other voters in your area.  Fortunately they are also responsive to
their constituents, just as they should be.  So be a constituent and
bring your friends.  It's the difference between democracy and
dictatorship.  Be thankful you live in the former and not the latter.

--
73, Bill W7TI