[TowerTalk] Was: Antenna Stirs Static .....ANTENNA RULES SURVEY

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Was: Antenna Stirs Static .....ANTENNA RULES SURVEY
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Wed Aug 13 17:12:41 2003
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 04:59:06PM -0400, KG4QDZ wrote:

> Anyway, would there be interest in compiling a list of areas KNOWN to be
> good for hams to share and/or create a web site on? I would be willing to
> collect the input and put something up if there's interest. Nothing funny
> like "in the middle of the desert", etc., just real experience with real
> rules and personal knowledge. I think a listing of knowledgeable real estate
> agents would be good too. READ TO THE END FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON EMAIL.

So, I did something like this for the Central Texas area:

http://www.ctdxcc.org/localregs/

This is a LOT more work than it looks.  Municipalities can publish their
ordinances in any number of formats: HTML, PDF, MS Word, etc.  Many cities
in our area do not even have city web sites, or if they do, they don't
have complete ordinances online.

And local regulations change frequently.

> How about:
> - City/town/area
> - rating (1=no rules, no permits / 2=permit req., but almost anything goes /
> 3=permits or rules, but accomodates with min. hassle / 4=must go before
> board or get neighbor approval or other iffy condition / 5=no way)

An interesting idea - but very subjective.  Who's going to read through
thousands of pages of rules and regulations and then make a 1-5 rating?
Who's to say that submitted ratings from unqualified parties are objective?
My guess is that if you just ask for submissions, almost nobody who submits
something is going to be a lawyer, and very few are going to have actually
read the ordinances - they'll think they know what they say from what they've
heard third-hand at a radio club meeting.