[TowerTalk] Rotator control refurb

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator control refurb
From: wrt@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Sat Aug 16 12:22:05 2003
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:42:00 -0700, "David Cook" <davec@netdave.com>
wrote:

>I can design my own replacement
>rotator controller box, but as I said, I'm sure many hams have already done
>this before, and probably thought of a lot of other ideas I haven't thought
>of yet. Thanks for any suggestions and/or pointers for more info on this.

ARRL handbooks for decades have contained a section on how to modify
these control boxes to do just what you want.  I haven't bought a
handbook recently so I don't know if they still do, but find one from
the '70s or '80s and it will be in there.

Ten years ago when I acquired my first Hy-Gain rotator, I sent them a
letter letting them know how poorly designed I thought the control box
was and warning them they were about to lose their monopoly on
rotators if they didn't shape up.  They didn't and they have.

My rotator is now a Yaesu, which has none of the Hy-Gain faults and
costs about 2/3 as much for the same load capability.

--
73, Bill W7TI