Re: [TowerTalk] double figure 8 bend

To: eric@k3na.org
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] double figure 8 bend
From: "Darrel J. Van Buer" <darrel@vanbuer.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:41:41 -0700
I've done a search for "double figure 8 bend" on the web and can't find any other references to this knot.

Not on the web, but in my 60 year old "The Ashley Book of Knots" in the chapter on bends:

1411. The Flemish Bend, also called Figure-Eight Bend, is often given in knot monographs but is seldom used. It is bulky and bothersome to tie, and not to be preferred to ...the Ring Knot...

However in 1944 stiff and slippery synthetic rope was exceedingly rare, thus it's dismissal.

The bends Ashley recommends for wet gut is the Ring Knot (like the double figure 8 but the basic knot is an overhand knot), and for small, stiff or slippery line a barrel knot. With this knot he notes one of the hardest to bend together is piano wire for which he suggests shellacing first, and even then it's difficult.

For permanent joining (a common use for the figure 8 bend now days), Ashley much prefers a splice (or a shroud knot, but those can only be tied in stranded rope, not braided).

--
Darrel J. Van Buer, AK6I
darrel@vanbuer.net