[TowerTalk] 8 pin rotor quick disconnects

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 8 pin rotor quick disconnects
From: Tom Anderson <ww5l@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:23:32 -0500
Fellow Tower Talkians:

I've finally got the time and $$ to go out and rent a scissors lift to
do some maintenance work on my TriEX (1993 vintage) WT51 crank up after
a couple years.  Going to re-orient the beam since its way off course,
grease and lube the thrust bearing with wheel bearing grease(this thrust
bearing has a grease fitting), and other maintenance work.  Yes I do
lube the crank up cable every 3-6 months with Prolube I got from Steve.

I was going to replace the mil spec rotor quick disconnect I got from RF
Connections (which seems to wick moisture like crazy even though its
"supposedly sealed" from the elements, with an 8 pole trailer quick
disconnect I got from Wireman some time back.  Any horror stories about
using these trailer quick disconects. Of course it will be completely
waterproofed with electrical tape and or Scotchcote, coax seal, etc.
Going to match it to the 8 pole trailer quick disconnect I've got at the
rotor box.

Also are their any "torque specs" for the Ham IV rotor as far as the
U-bolts for the mast clamp goes?  Norm of Norm's Rotor Service, who
rebuilt the Ham IV after a lightning strike a couple years ago, said
just to tighten them until they feel tight. It just seems my beam is
constantly out of adjustment with the rotor direction indicator like I'm
not getting them tight enough. I know not to pin the mast by drilling a
hole in it, but it just seems the beam (a Mosley Classic 33 WARC with
the 40m kit which I'm thinking about changing out with a Tennadyne T-8
LPG or larger because it has multiple elements of the WARC bands, while
the Mosley just has a rotatable dipole) is always out of alignment.

Any help appreciated.