RE: [TowerTalk] Making rotator loops separate

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Making rotator loops separate
From: "Dale L Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:40:21 -0500

> What is the consensus on whether it's a good idea to make the
> rotator loop
> to a yagi separate from the rest of the feedline (with barrel
> connector and
> 2 PL-259s).

After dealing with continuous runs from the tower base or the station to the
antennas at our club station for many years, I am a true believer in each
antenna having a jumper to a point below the rotator.

1.  If a problem develops with the run to and up the tower, that run can be
fixed/replaced without having to access the antenna (picture a 15m stacked
10' over a 20m beam).

2.  If a problem develops with the jumper between the antenna and a point
below the tower, then it's just a matter of replacing that piece and not the
whole run....or THEN deciding to install 259's/barrel somewhere in the line
and making the mod up on the tower.

I say do it.  Do it now.

73,
dale, kg5u