Re: [TowerTalk] Smart antennas

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Smart antennas
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 07:28:27 -0700
or losses in antenna tuners, etc.

Actually, for that matter, I think the FCC is a bit vague on where the
reference plane for the power limit is.   Say I have a 5 kW amplifier, and
I'm using some sort of horrible lossy transmission line to connect to the
antenna.  What's to keep me from saying that the output of the system should
measured at the antenna feedpoint (i.e. the transmission line is part of the
"transmitter".. it's not supposed to radiate).  Particularly on higher
bands, this could be significant.

And, as a practical matter, when they come knocking on your door, it's going
to be as the result of field strength measurements (or a fink report from a
competitor, like in the Cable TV biz).  It's not illegal, per se, to possess
the 100 kW RF amp (heck, you don't even have to have a license to own it),
just to radiate more than 1500WPEP, and if you have a credible story with
documentation and measurements to back it up.

Total Radiated power is a bit tricky.. where do you measure it?  How would
you account for ground losses?

In any case, I think that the idea is to encourage folks to come up with new
solutions to the problem of communicating, rather than falling back on: Big
Amp, Big Tower.  (even if this is the "towertalk" list, and towers are near
and dear to our hearts!)