[TowerTalk] Reference plane for FCC power limit

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Reference plane for FCC power limit
From: Chuck Counselman <ccc@space.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:05:56 -0400
At 7:28 AM -0700 9/3/03, Jim Lux wrote:
...I think the FCC is a bit vague on where the reference plane for the power limit is....

The FCC is (also) silent regarding _what_ power is limited.

The "forward" power at a reference plane/point along a simple TEM transmission-line such as coaxial cable or parallel-wire line depends not only on the voltage across and the current through the line at said plane, but also on an assumed value, e.g., 50 ohms, of the characteristic impedance Zo of said line.

OTOH, the _net_ (forward minus reverse) power at said plane is determined by the voltage and the current at said plane and is independent of an assumption regarding Zo. [Here I refer to only difference-mode transmission; I ignore common-mode transmission, which is substantial for many of you. :-) ] _Net_ power, also called "real" power (as opposed to "imaginary" or "reactive" power), is what the electric utility company's kilowatt-hour meter on the back of your house responds to.

Since the FCC does not specify a characteristic impedance for forward or reverse power measurement, it must be _net_ power that the FCC limits.

-Chuck, W1HIS, and not a lawyer.