Re: [TowerTalk] 1/8 wave spaced 80m verticals

To: "Col" <col@v21mail.co.uk>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1/8 wave spaced 80m verticals
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 06:25:46 -0700
What test gear do you have available?

How much cut and try are you willing to do, and do you have some convenient
beacons/sources to test with to measure F/B (for instance)

There's sort of two general approaches to network synthesis for phased
arrays:
1) Figure out what element currents will produce the desired patterns (by
using NEC and trusting it), then, measuring impedances and designing the
appropriate network to feed it. (I've got a spreadsheet for Christman type
feeds that lets you figure it out, as long as you have the mutual Z matrix
for 2,3, or 4 elements).  Measuring the Z matrix (which is essential for
this kind of approach) is somewhat tedious, but reasonably doable.

2) Use numerical models to get close, then do field testing to make the fine
adjustment.  Taking the Christman feed for example, you'd get a bunch of
short jumpers of various lengths and systematically try different feedline
lengths until the performance is what you want.  At 40 or 80 meters, you
could probably use hunks of coax without connectors and just twist the wires
or use crimpon lugs for testing purposes.

3) You can use an approach described in one of the Antenna Compendia and use
a standard antenna tuner as a phasing network and adjust it for optimum
performance. You could then measure the tuner and build a more rugged,
higher power version for permanent use.  Something as simple as a MFJ CLC
type tuner could be used effectively, albeit tediously.  With this approach,
suitable only for 2 element arrays, you use a DPDT switch to actually flip
the phase back and forth on one element to alternately null and peak the
desired signal.

If you have the ability to measure element currents (i.e. you can build some
current probes, etc.) then you've got that much more information to help you
tune.

Here's the tricky thing about measuring and cutting.. a lot depends on your
antenna model, because you're not actually measuring or controlling the far
field pattern, and it's unlikely you have a nice idealized situation with
your two verticals sitting out on a grassy salt marsh 100s of meters from
the nearest conductor. Other "stuff" near the antenna element will change
it's impedance (why you actually need to measure the Z, and not just trust
NEC), and, for the same reason as it changes the Z, will change the
element's far field pattern, which changes the array's far field pattern.

I've got a bunch of loosely organized stuff at
http://home.earthlink.net/~w6rmk/antenna/phased/index.htm that might be of
use, including details on current probe design, Christman design
spreadsheets, etc.  If a link is broken, or you can't find something, let me
know, because it probably just means I screwed up moving the site around, or
I forgot to post it.