[TowerTalk] Grounding on a UST HDX-555

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding on a UST HDX-555
From: "Kenneth M. Brockel" <n2smt@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:36:08 -0400
Hello to all on the list!

I've recently installed a new HDX-555 and have finally got the tower
perpendicular to the ground. I am now working on grounding the structure and
have a few questions on grounding. I've begun the process of sinking all of
my 8' ground rods that I will need and have studied the base of the tower
and am looking for some kind of strap that I could use to connect to the leg
of the tower. I'd prefer to use 1.5" copper strap instead of wire if at all
possible. I know that Polyphaser makes a couple of different models (UNI-KIT
2TT) that might work but the physical connection to the tower is what I am
struggling with. I don't want to drill any additional holes in the base
mounting plates of the tower. I'd like to use the one of the four tower
mounting bolts to connect this strap on each of the three legs of the tower.
Also, does anyone know what the approximate length is of the UNI-KIT 2TT is?

Another solution I had thought of is using the TK2 clamps from Polyphaser
and run the 1.5" strap right to the leg of the tower. If I go this route,
I'd have to fabricate some kind of mechanical stop on each of the three legs
of the tower so as to when I crank it down, it will stop a bit higher and
allow me the room to make the physical connection.

If anyone has some additional hints on grounding a HDX-555, I'd love to hear
them.

73, de Ken, N2SMT