[TowerTalk] steerable vhf antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] steerable vhf antenna
From: KC0QNB <kcoqnb@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:43:29 -0500
You folks may laugh at this but here goes, I had a request from a fellow ham that just got his new license, he was a cber, and liked his super scanner antenna so much,the would like a 2 meter version made, I said I would look around, the basic design is pretty straight forward take three dipoles, place then in a triangle and support them with arms placed around a hub, but now it gets tricky, I don't have my old super scanner manual anymore otherwise I could probably do some scaling and make it work, here is what I am asking;
1)how far apart should the dipoles be, on the super scanner it seemed that it was far less than a 1/4 wave length.
2)where can I find the proper relays suitable for switching rf at 144MHz at a max of 200 watts and the proper locating of these relays in a remotely controlled relay box.
3)how long should the feedline to each of the elements be on the 'scanner it seemed that it was just over 1/4 wavelength, like approx 3/8 wavelength.
if you can help in any way it will be appreciated.
73 KC0QNB