Re: [TowerTalk] Question concerning Hard Line

To: "Van Fair" <vfair@innova.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question concerning Hard Line
From: "Jim Wilcox" <jim.wil@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 01:11:48 -0400
Hello, Van--

Keep in mind that the SWR meter is designed to operate with a given
impedance--almost certainly 50 ohms; it will produce erroneous readings when
connected to other impedances (input or output).  In other words, you can't
trust the meter readings you obtained; they almost assuredly are incorrect.

Further, even if you could trust the meter, there will be an impedance
transformation caused by the 70 ohm line.  I now have to bow to those more
knowledgeable to provide details about that, but I would not expect radical
SWRs to result if those feedlines and the connections are good.  My guess is
that the 2:1 readings are more a result of the fact that the meter is
designed for 50 ohms.

Good luck--it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

vy 73

Jim, W3WV

Jim Wilcox