Re: [TowerTalk] Largest 20M Array

To: <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>, "Carl" <cbraun@remtron.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Largest 20M Array
From: "Robert Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:06:28 -0500
> EXCUSE ME
>
> The worst ultraviolet conditions in the states are in Florida... trust
> me on this!

> K4OJ

At sea level perhaps, but if you are talking about ALL the states, then no,
the worst conditions are not in Florida.  The WORST conditions for UV
exposure occur in those places AT ALTITUDE, in the rarified air and rarified
atmosphere which offers VASTLY LESS UV protection than at sea level.  The
higher you go, the less protection from UV and the greater the sunburn
with a constant exposure time.

This includes most of Colorado and Wyoming and many other areas NOT in
Florida.
Think mountains and skiing and think UV Glasses and Sunblock or think
INTENSE PAIN and serious skin damage!

Altitude aside, the further South you go, the closer the sun is to being
directly overhead and the
great the intensity of the sun's rays.  Yes, this causes a greater risk of
sunburn with a clear or partly cloudy sky, but this is still NOTHING
compared to being up at 12,000' on a ski slope in Colorado!

I'm not sure that Florida even compares to to the UV exposure risk of a
"low" 5000' elevation either. However, I would bet that there is at least
one highly knowledgeable person on this reflector who can give a scholarly
account of this.

Bob KQ2M

Actually, the worst "hot spot" for degradation is near Key