Re: [TowerTalk] Largest 20M Array

To: "Daly, Greg TQO" <gdaly@tqs.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Largest 20M Array
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:57:17 -0500
You are missing the point, Greg... if someone has a yagi with a boom larger than most ham's towers he is NOT mixing Sakrete!

A ham tower reflector is the last place I would look to find political correctness! Towertalk is however a great repository for ideas on making your job of putting up antenna towers easier... the archives of this reflector could be packaged and published as Towers for Dummies!

Smaller installations are not being looked down at - everyone starts there - some chose to "go large" as part of their enjoyment of the hobby.

The act of mixing Sakrete has been performed by probably everyone here - it is hard work and always amazes anyone how you can end up with less than you start with when mixing up a batch (at least it seems that way)...

What you tend to find is that some of the guys who at one time did the Sakrete thing have moved on in their Radio Propagation Experiments and now are "pushing the envelope" with bigger arrays which demand bigger towers.... bigger towers require substantial amounts of concrete.

When you do a cost analysis that includes the value of your labor and your back, suddenly calling up the redimix truck gets real attractive, as in doing it yourself is NOT an option.

Other than having minimums I think you will find that it takes a LOT of bags of Sakrete to do any sort of antenna or guy point job - and - while a sack of Sakrete is relatively inexpensive it does NOT go very far...

A 90 lb sack of Sakrete concrete mix makes two thirds (2/3) of a cubic FOOT - so, dividing 27 cubic foot (number of CF in a cubic yard) by 2/3
you get 40 bags per yard....

Last I knew the concrete truck would deliver concrete in the sixties per yard.... for the sake of argument lets say it is 80 dollars a yard delivered to your QTH in this day and age.

IF $80.00 is the delivered price, and you could slave and make a yard of Sakrete by buying 40 sacks it would have to be $2.00 per bag or less if you were to "save money"...

I do not think you will find that Sakrete is that cheap! Last time I bought it, it was 3 something a sack...

When you add in a value for your own labor, and the cost of liniment afterwards, you are much better off using the phone to call for concrete!

Don't forget loading and unloading those sacks... and placing them in a dry place 'til used... and, the sacks do get heavier as the day goes on.

A suggestion:

If there is someone building near you, you would be wise to speak with the concrete truck driver - he will almost always have "overage" in the truck, and you can slip him a bill or a case of beer to squirt that stuff into one of your tower holes... otherwise he will return to the yard and then dump that stuff on the ground...

Life is too short... spend your time and money on the tower and antennas, not mixing Sakrete.

Jim, K4OJ

Daly, Greg TQO wrote:

What's wrong with sakrete? It's cheap, and it works. My 80 feet of R-25
with screw-in guy anchors has survived the collapse of 2 tribanders..... I
suppose if I were made of money I could afford to have Oregon ice storms
destroy "real" antennas.

     By the way, reading about huge 20 meter antennas was rather
entertaining, but slamming tribanders and cheap tower installations is
rather hurtful to we who can afford no more........... The subject has left
the building!

73 / GOOD DX DE WB7RSG