Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-up won't crank

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-up won't crank
From: "David L. Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:57:21 -0500
I agree with Steve K7LXC.   Sounds like its caught.  The cables barely clear
the metal tower at times and either its caught or one of the pulleys is off
the track.   I am on my third winch for my 71 footer.  The first the drum
locked up and would not turn, the second locked up in the gears inside the
drum (both Fulton's 2500).  The third came from US Tower and its much
heavier that the Fulton's.  The drum is much larger in diameter so it comes
down and goes up faster.

Carefully check the tower and If you get a name of a local tower person use
him as crank ups are dangerous and not climbable.   If it is the drum you
need the experts help to use a come along or similar to hold the tower while
you change the winch.  With the TX series at least you only have the bottom
wire rope to deal with (each section of wire rope is separate).  I use heavy
steel pins to hold the upper sections in place to do repairs and I have
replaced wire rope in an emergency twice with one come along lost.

73 Dave K4JRB