Re: [TowerTalk] N4XM Match Info request

To: "Larry Stowell" <lclarks@nc.rr.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N4XM Match Info request
From: "Paul Christensen, Esq." <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 07:21:36 -0500
> I don't see the price and it costs $3 for more info by snail mail?

I suppose he is the master of his offer.  However, it would be nice to at
least state the price (on his web page) of the models before wasting the
customer's time in sending $3 only to find that the cost of the tuners may
be beyond his or her means.

I am sure the XMatch is a fine tuner, but for the prospective price, one
needs to consider the importance of having, or not having, a balanced
output.  The XMatch appears to be an "unbalanced only" tuner.

Designing and building a low-loss unbalanced-only tuner is not rocket
science.   The majority of problems come from matching balanced lines and
performing the balun function within the tuner.  And while it is entirely
possible to outboard a current balun, given the price of the unit, my
expectation is that the tuner should accommodate both unbalanced and
balanced transmission lines.

-Paul, W9AC