[TowerTalk] safety and positioning harnesses

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] safety and positioning harnesses
From: Ed Kucharski <k3dne@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 10:52:01 -0500
I'm putting up a new tower (AN Wireless HD60 with the DBI/SALA lifeline system) soon - as soon as wx and schedules permit. I want to get a new harness to accommodate the lifeline system and to provide a higher level of safety and comfort (I hate to climb - some kind of phobia, I guess). I presently have an ONV harness with the back, chest, and 2 side D-rings but no waist strap which seems to always give me a backache even after a short time on my existing tower (Rohn 25). Previously I used a standard lineman's belt which was comfortable but without the added safety features of a full body harness.

I searched the towertalk archives and ended up ordering 2 recommended harness which I have since returned due to improper fit. The first was the Petzl Vario harness which was very comfortable but because I'm short waisted (the distance from my waist to shoulders is shorter than most - I'm 5ft.8in.) the back-pad D-ring came up over my shoulders with lots of slack in the straps regardless of how I adjusted them. The other minor problem with this harness is the D-rings are smaller than on my lineman belt or ONV harness and I can see some fumbling around trying to get the positioning lanyard attached once I reach work height. The other harness was a DBI/SALA cross over harness with front, back and 2 side D-rings and a nice padded wide waist belt. Unfortunately I had the same problem with this harness with too much slack in the shoulder/back straps even when fully adjusted.

I'm looking for suggestions for a full body harness with a back, front and 2 side D-rings that will accommodate my short waist torso that is comfortable, safe and easy to put on. I have done several internet searches and came up with a few possibilities but thought that I would ask here first to see if anyone has had similar experiences with harness fit and found a solution.
Any suggestions will be appreciated!

73,
Ed K3DNE