Re: [TowerTalk] N4XM Match Info request

To: "Paul Christensen, Esq." <w9ac@arrl.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>,"W0UN -- John Brosnahan" <shr@swtexas.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N4XM Match Info request
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 06:26:39 -0800
I suspect that if one were to search through the patent literature, one
would find that many, many designs that are in common use by hams are
actually patented. And, as Paul points out, many of them probably wouldn't
stand up in a challenge.  There are several reasons for this that I can see.

1) The vast majority of patents never have their maintenance fees paid,
indicating that the owner doesn't believe it has significant value

2) Some patents are filed for speculative purposes, and to establish prior
art, so you can't be submarined later.  They're also a useful negotiating
lever if someone patents something you're already doing and comes after you,
a not uncommon situation given the many year delay between filing and
issuing of patents.  If owner B comes to you claiming you infringe, then you
can tell him, well, it looks like you're infringing my patent A, it would
cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to thrash it out in court, so why
don't we just cross license and call it even.  (of such deals are the
complexities of things like MPEG licensing built).  It also looks good to
ignorant investors, e.g. Our soon to IPO company has a portfolio of 235
patents! Send money now!

3) The examiners are under huge pressure to reduce the "time in the system",
particularly with the old scheme were apps were secret until patent issue,
largely because of the "submarine patent" problem.  Therefore, they tend to
issue the patents, figuring that if it is important, someone will break the
patent later in court. I had a patent with some 75 claims issued, and I
fully expected half the claims to be thrown out, but they weren't.  There's
also a difference in the purpose of the disclosure of the invention and in
the claims.  Some of the claims get put in there in case another (more
general) claim gets knocked out.  Many times you'll see something like:
1) A device for tuning antennas
2) The device in claim 1 where there are adjustable capacitors and inductors
3) the device in claim 1 where there are adjustable capacitors and fixed
inductors
4) the device in claim 1 where there are fixed inductors and adjustable
capacitors
5) ... where the adjustable capacitor is continuously variable
6) ... where the adjustable capacitor is variable in discrete steps
7) as in 6, where the steps are equal in value
8) as in 6, where the steps are different in value

and so on...
If the examiner decides that, hey, antenna tuners have been around a while,
so claim 1 isn't valid, and knocks it out, the patent still has all the rest
of the claims.  One thing to remember is that once you've filed the
application, and the examiner comes back with comments, you can't add claims
to replace ones he knocked out.  You can only, really, correct errors, or
provide more disclosure.

The disclosure establishes prior art for succeeding patents and provides the
basis for why it's novel (in the section where you "knock prior art").  The
claims provide the basis for infringement claims.  You can disclose all
kinds of stuff, but claim very little, and have a very good chance of having
your patent granted, and then, you can go to those investors with that shiny
new patent.

4) Some truly strong patents do have an air of "gosh, I could have thought
of that" to them.  Especially when they combine two aspects of prior art in
a novel (unpublished) way. A good idea is a good idea, and the beauty of a
fundamental advance is that any idiot can see it's a good idea, once it's
written down.  It's that "reduction to practice" thing.

5) The sheer volume of places where prior art might appear is so huge these
days.  A patent examiner would have a tough time keeping up with it.  It's
not like you could just read the IEEE Transactions on XYZ or google for it.
Unless the applicant, or one of the previous cited patents, cites a
particular source for prior art, if it's at all obscure, I suspect that the
examiner won't know about it. Say that all the discussion establishing prior
art for a type of antenna (or tuner) were exclusively on this mailing list?

Jim W6RMK
(holder (but not assignee) of two patents... neither radio related)