Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor replacement

To: W3YY <w3yy@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor replacement
From: Phil - KB9CRY <kb9cry@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 05:24:41 -0600

I'd like to just reiterate that it doesn't matter how many thrust bearings one has on the mast, those centering screws are not meant to hold any of the vertical loads of the mast/antenna assembly. They are only meant to center the mast in the bearing and other external means must be applied to transfer the load from the mast to the bearing. Many may have been lucky using the screws to hold the load but it's your fingers. For me, I purchase stainless steel pipe clamps from McMaster Carr and attach these to the mast and let this ride on top of the bearing. Don't use regular muffler clamps as these will rust into an unsightly mess. Phil KB9CRY

W3YY wrote:

Barry -

Perhaps it is too late for this now, but in the future if you install two
thrust bearings to support and align the mast, your rotator will have no
vertical load on it and you can remove and replace rotators without any
problems or special effort.

73, Bob - W3YY