Re: [TowerTalk] 160m inverted L now up

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m inverted L now up
From: "Jerry Connelly" <jerryc@clinchrivercorp.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 08:47:39 -0500
Gene and the group
An unexpexted trip to an Aunt's house to help her with
something cut short my antenna testing last night.  I did make
about 3 contacts.  All were somewhat close (less than 350 miles)
and two gave good signal reports (s9 to 5db over).  The third
station could only hear me on voice peaks.  He was in eastern VA
and had a s9 noise level.  I guess thats not bad for less than 100 watts
and a shortened inverted L with less than 40' on the vertical.
I didn't have time to try anyone further out so will have to wait till I
get another evening to play (I mean do serious testing).

Intermediate results:
It works.....it got me on the band and I made some contacts.
The tunes well and the tuner likes it.....that is allways a plus.
It hears fairly well ....but with a higher noise level than my loop or
dipole....as expected.
Long distance work.....still needs to be tested for results.

Whats next:
I need to put down more ground radials.
I need to work out a matching system so I can omit the tuner (low power
type) and have the option of running the amp.
I need to look at getting the pulley on top the wood pole so I can go back
to an unloaded horiz. section as planned.

Thanks to all
JerryC
KC8TES