RE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] Vertical Dipole for UHF

To: "'omalleyvalve@yahoo.com'" <omalleyvalve@yahoo.com>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] Vertical Dipole for UHF
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 07:59:19 -0800
The commercial 4-pole and 8-pole arrays (not including Cushcraft's product,
which is amateur and quite different) use folded dipoles of heliarc welded
aluminum construction, so there's no "hardware" (nuts & bolts, screws or
rivets) in the RF current path.  This is done to minimize noise and maximize
longetivity.  Lacking appropriate welding equipment and experience, the same
thing could be done with copper tubing and solder.  The Cushcraft AFM4D etc.
models use ordinary "Redi-Match" (gamma matched) tubing straight dipoles,
which in theory should work the same, but in practice really don't.  Nothing
magical about the stacking distances used: It's one wavelength,
center-to-center, between dipoles.  At 146 MHz, this is ~78", so a 4-pole
utilizes 3WL of mast, or 19-1/2 feet.  At 446 MHz, it's ~25-3/16", so a
4-pole utilizes 3WL of mast, or 6'3-1/2".  8-poles are obviously larger!
Stagger them at 90 degree intervals around the mast for an omni pattern
~5.2dBd for a 4-pole, or ~7.4dBd for an 8-pole.   After owning a DB Products
4-pole for 146 MHz for a few years, I copied one as a homebrew equivalent,
and it worked the same as (and as well as) the original, but the "copy" also
used heliarc welded aluminum tubing.  After all welding was completed, we
took each dipole assembly to a plating shop and had them hard clear
anodized, for about $10 per unit.  Far as I know, that one is still up,
after about 20 years!  -WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill