Re: [TowerTalk] $30 Worm Drive Winch

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] $30 Worm Drive Winch
From: Steve Maki <steve@oakcom.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 02:56:09 -0500
K4BEV wrote:

>> This is about the cheapest worm drive winch I have seen.  And it may
>> be available from the local Harbor Freight outlet stores.
>>
>> See site for photo.  I can always use things like this so I plan on
>> picking one up for evaluation.
>>
>> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5798

>I'm due for a new winch for a US 55' crank-up.
>Is this type of winch suitable for this application?
>The price is sure right, but anything that seems too good to be true usually
>isn't.

In fact, I use that very winch (with a drill motor) to raise
and lower my 50' Hygain tower which is mounted on a trailer.

The worm gear u-bracket is bolted to the winch plate with
a pair of 5/16" bolts. That looked slightly iffy to me, so
I welded the bracket to the plate and feel comfortable with
it now.

Before each use I spray a little WD-40 on the gear. It seems
to be more than up to the task, but on a permanent install,
especially if the tower were any heavier than the one I have,
I'd probably go for something a little bigger.

Steve K8LX