(long) RE: [TowerTalk] One more ground radial question

To: kb9cry@comcast.net, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: (long) RE: [TowerTalk] One more ground radial question
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:44:58 -0800
At 04:49 PM 12/17/2003 +0000, kb9cry@comcast.net wrote:
I would agree 5 radials just won't cut it and your theory of impedance changing during rain is probably right on. Also your planned number of radials of 12 - 24 is also low. The best bet is 60 1/4 wavelength radials but any number of shorter lengths will work. My experience, with good loamy and clay soils, is 45 is the minimum required. I'd plan to install around that many if you can; the 5 you have now is not enough. Commercial stations usually use up to 120 radials but extensive tests by amateurs have determined that 60 is optimum. Check this list's archives for past discussions. Phil KB9CRY

While 160m is fairly close to the broadcast band antennas that George "60-120 radials" Brown wrote his paper about, there's nothing special about them being 1/4 wavelength long. Also, don't forget that all that analysis and testing about radials was done in B.C. (before computers) days with slide rule and CRC tables by your side. It was tedious enough that you're not going to try lots of different schemes for grounding, and you'll tend to pick approaches to evaluate that have nice symmetry so the analysis is simpler. Even the more recent articles in QST, for instance, have essentially echoed Brown's early analytical approach. Someone should get a copy of NEC4.1 and do some REAL modeling of this. (There is a paper in last year's ACES conference that used NEC4 to analyze the performance of ground rods. J. Patrick Donohoe, "Modeling guidelines for the computation of electrode grounding resistance using NEC", Proc. of 19th Ann. Rev. of Prog in Appl. Comp. EM, Mar 24-28, 2003, Monterey, CA., pp844-849 )

There are basically three situations you might be in, radial wise:

1) Where the radials ARE the ground plane, and have to carry all the current to form the image of the vertical.

This would be the case with dense radial networks above ground, of any length, including grids, sheets, etc. In this case, the groundplane (or counterpoise) isn't a resonant thing, and you choose the size according to the electric field from the vertical, so that "most" of the field is covered. A ballpark of making the radius of the counterpoise equal to the height is a nice compromise (it just happens that it winds up being 1/4 wavelength, then, when the vertical is 1/4 wavelength long...). If you have a substantial "top hat" on your vertical, then the counterpoise should be bigger. There are a number of nice programs out there that handle this kind of calculation graphically, especially for rotationally symmetric arrangements. In the ideal case, you're approximating a continuous conductive sheet, so no current appears on the "bottom" side, and the actual ground is irrelevant (at least, in the near field)

2) Where the radials are designed to make a good connection to the "real earth" and they are either laying on the surface or buried.

Here, you need to agonize about things like whether the current is flowing in the radial or the earth, and what the optimum arrangement of wires is to reduce the overall impedance, given that a) soil is not a nice uniform resistor, it has a significant dielectric constant; and b) the soil conditions change (radically) with moisture content; and c) the current isn't flowing in a nice idealized sheet anyway. This is the classic case subjected to analysis by Brown and others (including recent articles in QST). By the way, a more optimized arrangement of conductors would be to have branching radials, so that the "density" of radial wires is roughly constant (i.e. more radials, the farther out you get, so the distance between radials is roughly constant). CLose to the antenna, you don't need as much copper. You can also analyze (to death) the current distribution from the antenna induced in the ground, etc. The construction hassles of such an approach tend to discourage it, though, when you can just go out and plow in 120 straight radials of whatever length.

3) Where the "stuff at the bottom" is just another radiating element of the antenna.

A 2m "groundplane" with drooping radials, or a discone, would be good examples. In this case, the length and position of the radials is very critical, since they carry significant current. Anything with 2,3, or 4 radials fits in this category, and they are basically some form of bent dipole or biconical, and can be considered as such. Anything with loading coils or capacitors on the radials would also fit in this category. So would using something like the MFJ artificial ground, which is just an antenna tuner with a different label.

What happens when ground conditions change:
In case 1: Nothing... you've created a synthetic ground plane. (Which is why the broadcasters do this..they don't want their field strength varying)

In case 2: As ground conductivity increases, the resistive losses decrease, so the SWR will tend to get worse (less R to swamp out the X from the antenna) and the bandwidth will narrow. However, the efficiency of the antenna will improve (less loss R, so more power goes into radiation. This is the basic tradeoff between Q and loss/efficiency.

In case 3: Lap of the gods... You're probably inducing significant current in the ground, so increasing ground conductivity will probably increase the current, which might dissipate more power in the ground, but it could actually get better. Consider the ends of the spectrum: a bone dry desert- no current flows, very little loss; a salt water swamp - the surface is almost a perfect reflector, so most of the RF is reflected and not absorbed. It's in the middle where losses are significant. Only modeling or measurements would tell for sure.

The upshot is that if your SWR is getting worse when it rains, you have a reasonably good #2 situation, because your "connection" to the soil is good enough that the soil conductivity affects it. What you might want to do is tune/adjust the antenna for resonance when it's raining (because that's when the loss resistance is lowest and the system has highest Q and highest efficiency). Then, when it dries out, it can only get better. Adding more radials will reduce the effect of changing soil conditions, reaching the limit of case #1, where you've made an artificial ground.