Re: [TowerTalk] Re: One more ground radial question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: One more ground radial question
From: Jan Erik Holm <sm2ekm@telia.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:50:15 +0100
Comments below:

corneliuspaul@gmx.net wrote:

In my opinion, Jerrys question was best answered by N0AH.
He describes exactly what any vertical/inv L builder will find out eventually:

The more radials you put on - the worse the SWR gets.
This is because ideally the antenna has a feedpoint impedance of 10 - 30 Ohms.
But, when you have only a few radials, this value gets "covered up" by the
lossy earth network, so what your coax and transmitter sees is much more
near 50 Ohms which makes you think its all fine. Another reminder that good
SWR does not necessarily mean good antenna. It cant be repeated often
enough: remember, the best SWR you can get is from a dummy load.
What you need with more radials is either an UNUN or a matching network or
a tuner (ideally located at the feedpoint).

Lossy earth network, no offence but that was something new to me.
Why not explain like this: feedpoint Z consists of two components,
Radiation resistance and Loss resistance, R-rad we cant do much
about but R-loss we can make smaller up to a certain point with more
and more radials in the near field.

Now on to the number of radials:
I find it relieving to finally see those come out of the woods who DONT
always use 60 or 120 radials (e.g. N6RK).
For me its amazing to see the number of posts demanding such a number of
radials as "sufficient".
Amazing, because remember we are speaking about 160m radials here.
If you have a wide space available and can simply put them on the ground -
well then its a feasible task but if you have a city lot or whatever, you
will find it difficult enough to put on 4 or 8. But - by all means, DO IT and have fun on the band! Your antenna will still
work much better than you might expect from the statements of those who
demand 60 radials.
When going on expedition or portable operation I have put up an 80m/160m
vertical/inv L (using one 80m trap) several times. I found a practical set of radials consists of 4 radials cut for 160m (40m
long) and 8 radials cut for 80m (20m long). Yes of course, more is better, but I said "practical". I am always trying
to bring at least 2 radial sets (8 for 160m, 16 for 80m) but I either leave
them at home for cutting down the weight or I drag them along and then dont
find the time / space to put them to work... :-)

Expression practical is kind a fishy to me. What´s practical to some isn´t
practical to others.
Why not look at facts instead. Facts are that "around 120" 1/4 wave radials
will give you very close to no R-loss at all.
Around 60 1/4 wave radials you are looking at "around" 1 dB of R-loss and so on.
Now there are variations on that, like if you just can put a small number
of radials you get less R-loss if you make them shorther then 1/4 wave, and
if you use only 2 or 4 radials it´s better to elevate them, however everything
like that will be "dB´s down" from the case 60 1/4 wave on the ground.
Years ago W8JI did some measurements that might be found somewhere I guess,
his measurements seemed very correct.
Bottom line, when someone asks me how many radials to put out I always
say "as much as you can" or put out 60 then you will have a loss in the near
field that is resonable.
Feedpoint Z has never been an issue to me on vertical antennas. If I put up
a vertical I will try to minimize the loss in the near field as much as I can,
whatever feedpoint Z I end up with I just match to my coax, usually I just
use a capacitor or two and a stub since it´s easy to make sutch a matching
network that will sustain high power, UNUN´s and gizmos like that I stay
away from, the simpler the better!

Good luck! mri xmas and hny 2004

73
Con DF4SA

73 and seasons greetings, maybe Santa will bring you some radials
Jim SM2EKM