[TowerTalk] Personal tram tips

Subject: [TowerTalk] Personal tram tips
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:17:39 -0500
When suspending an antenna from a tram line usually the biggest hassle for me has been that when you get to the top the antenna is "trapped" under the tram line which often is NOT on the mast above the target area.

To overcome this you have to be able to undo the tram line before that final lift vertically of the antenna.

By using a gin pole as the pulley at the top of the line that pulls the antenna up the tram you can also use it to act as the booster to get the antenna to its destination.

The critical thing to watch for though is NOT to have the gin pole extended much above the clamp as you are putting horizontal pull on the gin pole... this is not what it is designed for... so... if the top of the gin pole is low it is not much help as far as the final boost.

When the antenna gets to the top of the tram, I usually have a short rope with a snap ring on it that runs from the boom near the tram point. Snap the ring onto a tower rung when the beam gets to the top of the tram and then let the pull rope go slack so the antenna travels back down the tram until that short rope becomes taught.

With the beam restrained, you can now raise up the gin pole so its head is above the point on the mast where the beam attaches.

Also, you can now instruct the ground crew to make the tram line come slack... I usually use my pickup truck as the ground end of the tram, as this means adjusting its tension is simply forward or reverse (gingerly) travel by the truck. So, slowly back the truck up a few feet and the beam will swing into the side of the tower as the tram loses its tension.

I use a clevis at the top of the tram line where it attaches to the tower or mast - the end of my tram line has a permanent eye on it and once it is slack, it is easy to undo by removing the pin of the clevis.

Use a snap ring to hook that end onto a tower rung below the beam just in case it is necessary to resurrect the tram and bring the beam back down.

Re-attach the gin pole rope to the beam and have the ground crew give the beam that last boost up to its installation destination.

As K7LXC noted, unlike traditional building the antenna up on top, most of the work is installing the tram system. Being able to send a finished antenna up is worth this work. You can do a better job of leveling the elements, tightening the bolts and general assembly when you are working at ground level than you can in the air.

By good prep work ahead of time, the coax can be ready to go, and within minutes you can be busting pileups (hopefully!)

Of the ten yagis for 10 through 40 meters in the air now at the station, only one of the small 4 element beams was NOT trammed or trolleyed up... A tram system is a good investment... buy a spool of wire rope and put an eye on the end of it.. set it aside in the garage and use it when it is beam time... you will be glad you did!

73, Season's

Jim, K4OJ