Re: [TowerTalk] TA-33m

To: "Jeff Griffin" <kb2m@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TA-33m
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:33:06 -0500
On 12/11/03 1:45 PM, Jeff Griffin at jeff.griffin@comcast.net wrote:

>Yeah right, like I'm supposed to believe something like  a 747 is assembled
>with pop rivet's?  Not any 747 I will ever leave the ground on!

Actually, blind fasteners are used on even the largest aircraft in areas
where driven rivets or bolts are impractical.

So long as the fastener has the required shear strength, there's no
reason to avoid a "pop" rivet.

(Pop is really a tradename, but most people associate the name with the
cheap fasteners that are nothing more than a hollow aluminum tube -- fine
for putting together your drop-ceiling rails, but not for much else.

Blind fasteners are designed such that part of the mandrel breaks off and
stays in the center of the rivet. The center is then filled with metal
and has considerable strength.

I've never seen a F12 antenna assembled, but others have indicated that
they use the same type of blind fasteners as rated for aircraft use.)

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901