[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Rod Lenght

To: Jim Lux <>,
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Rod Lenght
From: "Alan C. Zack" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:11:47 -0800
List-post: <>
Thanks for all the good info.  I do have to have a NV wet stamp on the
UST drawings.  Their outside contracted PE provides their work to the
sales guy at UST who in turn sells it to me for $250.00.  At least
that was the last quoted price for UBC-97 specs at 90 MPH.  Now I'm
waiting for them to see if they can give the specs under IBC-2000. 
This is just to get a bldg permit for a base 3 ft by 3 ft by 4 ft
There are no ARRL PE's in NV so says ARRL Hdqts, so I have to go with
a local guy or the PE working for UST who does have a NV PE stamp.  I
decided to go with the UST guy as he has all the UST paperwork at his
disposal.  I also can't find anyone to pour such a small plot of
concrete.  I may end up getting my driveway widened and the tower base
poured as a side job to the driveway.
As you say, this is a learning experience.  First I just downloaded
UST base drawings from the internet and took it to the Bldg dept. 
They told me that was OK, but it needed a NV PE wet stamp.  As I was
leaving, he told me BTW, you also need wind calcs for 90 MPH.  The 90
MPH wind calcs have been the problem.  Later, on the phone I tried to
talk them into accepting the already computed 70 MPH wind calcs UST
provides free of charge but they tell me under IBC-2000 it must be 90

Jim Lux wrote:
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Alan C. Zack" <>
> To: "Jim Lux" <>
> Cc: "James" <>; <>
> Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 7:53 PM
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Rod Lenght
> > Jim,
> > Good info here.  Question please.  If a city Building Department is
> > requiring your antenna tower project to be to code, can you request to
> > study the code from one of their books?
> I would think so.... They don't have to help you find stuff, but they should
> certainly have a copy of the code available for inspection (and probably for
> copying to take away at a "nominal" cost (close to actual cost of making the
> copies)).
> The local public library also usually has all the local codes.
> > Reason I ask is I'm in the process of getting a building permit for a
> > small tower.  U.S. Towers provided me with drawings and wind calcs for
> > 70 MPH.  Not good enough.  The US Towers drawings are to USB-97 specs,
> > they want IBC-2000 specs.  The wind specs are to 70 MPH, they want 90
> > MPH.  Sales at U.S. Towers has refereed it to their outside contracted
> > PE.  They don't have an in-house PE.  They farm stuff like this out to
> > a contracted PE then charges the customer for the info.  Still better
> > than trying to find someone from scratch to do it for you.  Any
> > possible suggestions?  (I am an EE and IE but not a PE)
> > Thanks.......
> With a few hours of work, you should be able to determine which sections of
> the code are controlling in your situation, and then you should be able to
> do some analysis and calculations, which might be sufficient to make the guy
> or gal at the counter happy.  On the other hand, if they're looking for a
> wet stamp and signature, nothing you do will help.  However, your knowing
> what's going on, and doing a lot of the "grunt work" might make getting that
> stamp and signature easier/less expensive.
> Don't expect getting it done for $50, though, unless you've got a close
> friend who's a P.E., or there's some other sort of "deal" to be worked.  You
> can call ARRL, who has lists of P.E.s who are "ham friendly", which might
> save you something on the initial consultation, at least.
> Be aware that "the code" won't tell you how to do the calculations. It will
> just give you the requirements: that is, something along the lines of
> "structures shall be designed to withstand a XYZ mi/hr wind without failure,
> and ABC mi/hr without permanent deformation" and "material property factor
> of safety of 2.0 shall be used for all strength calculations" and stuff like
> that.
> >

                                     Alan Zack
                     Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
                         Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
          Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
  Aviation Chief Warrant Officer, U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
        U.S. Coast Guard, Always Ready, Always There
Every hour, Every day, Around the Clock and Around the World
                               SEMPER PARATUS

See:  for "Self Supporting Towers", "Wireless Weather 
Stations", and lot's more.  Call Toll Free, 1-800-333-9041 with any questions 
and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.

TowerTalk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>