[TowerTalk] 40 meter Steppir

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40 meter Steppir
From: "Van Fair" <vfair@innova.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:37:59 -0500
Maybe a more marketable approach for SteppIr would be to use the current 4
element design and only change two elements to 40 meter capability and
eliminate 6 meters to solve mechanical design problems. Maybe price of this
approach could be a more realistic $2000 to 2500.  Two elements on 40 and 30
would satisfy the most number of potential customers. A choice of three
different element spacings available on the 4 element should provide one
acceptable for a 2 element 40 and even a rotatable dipole on 30 would be an
upgrade if no spacing would suit 30 meters.  Another  thought is to offer a
long driven element for 40 and 30 meters with the other 2 or 3 elements
remaining as they are now, to give a rotatable dipole on 30 and 40. 6 meters
would probably also have to go to solve mechanical problems but for the next 6
years 6 meters will not attract much attention anyway. This approach would also
decrease turning radius which may be a problem for many with a 32 foot boom and
67 foot long elements.

How do others feel about the direction FM should go in this area.  I don't now
own a Steppir but I will buy one as soon as a 40 meter solution is available as
described above but I am not sure I can handle or want to give up the fourth
element to go with a 3 element full size 10-40 or pay over $3000 . If that is
the solution FM decides on then I will probably go with a 4 element and a
separate smaller 2 element 40 or a rotatable dipole for 40.  It would help me
make a decision if FM would lets us know as soon as they decide and long before
it will be avaialable for delivery.  73 Van