[TowerTalk] Quickly releasable knot

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Quickly releasable knot
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:54:24 -0500
This past weekend I was on a ground crew putting up two large 40m yagis. Because the tag lines needed to be reachable from the tower, they were attached only maybe 18 inches from the center of the boom, which made it very hard to apply enough force on the tag lines to control the antenna (lever arm too short).

I seem to recall reading, at one time, about a special type of knot designed for remote untying. In a nutshell, it holds tight as long as the "untying" force is applied through the loop formed by the knot, but a good tug on a "pigtail" sticking out of the knot itself will cause the knot to untie. It occurred to me that such a knot could have been used to attach the tag lines some distance from the center of the boom, with the pigtail taped to the boom and long enough to reach to the center, so that the tag lines could be released when no longer needed.

Am I making this up, or does someone know the details or, perhaps, a web site source?

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the World HF Contest Station Database
Updated 9 Jan 04
www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm