Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Static, Lightening, and protection

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Static, Lightening, and protection
From: Bill Aycock <baycock@direcway.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:24:32 -0600
I agree with the comment about "voting" on scientific theories. There was a time when people thought that the weather could be predicted, but they found out that only the probability of the weather was amenable to analysis. Even though I review a LOT of abstracts, I have NEVER seen a study that considers the Phenomena Yuri ( and I) are talking about. I am talking about introducing a "bias" to make the stroke go somewhere else.
A study to measure such phenomena must be long term and statistical in nature. My own small data set includes three hits in five years before I had a tower, and NO hits in eight years after. In this period there was no obvious difference in the hits in the woods surrounding my QTH.
I know- this is "anecdotal", but, to me, it is real. I disconnect my rigs and ground my antennae, but this only protects the rigs, not the sky-hardware. Also, I know that "lightning goes where it wants to", but I believe it can be "nudged" a little.
Bill-W4BSG