Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning resuscitation

To: K3BU@aol.com, Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning resuscitation
From: "S. J. Blackwell" <w5lu@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 04:43:20 +0000

I have been following this thread with some amusement. It has come to mind that perhaps further comment should be made as suggestions have been made that could result in harm to individuals.
I believe that Yuri's father was telling the truth, however, I believe that the observation has been wrongly interpreted.
First I do not want to get into some kind of knowitall kerfuffle, so at the outset I will state that I do not know it all. I do, however, know a little on the subject at hand. Let me state where I am coming from. I have a degree in engineering physics and an MD degree. I am board certified in Internal Medicine and the subsepciality of cardiovascular disease by the American Board of Internal Medicine. I have 7 years of postdoctoral training and research, some of which included rather detailed study of cardiac electrical activity in isolated hearts. (to date myself, we used a PDP-7 and later a PDP-11 for data manipulation for the old timers) I am also a member of both the physics and medicall honor societies. I have counter shocked literally hundreds of people with lethal cardiac rhythm disturbances over 25+ years of practice and have been counter shocked myself following an electrical accident in a hospital where, fortunately, a defibrillator was immediately available. Now to the question at hand:

High voltage, high current discharges through tissue is destructive through heat generation. I have seen a human being (female) and the horse she was riding literally made almost into hamburger as the energy heated the tissues to the point of near explosive vaporization of the body fluids. This is not the subject at hand. Two other effects are of interest:

(1) Direct cardiac effects.
(2) Direct Central nervous system effects
Neither of these require high voltage or high current, only enough to produce cellular depolarization in the brain or heart to the extent that an undesired occurance is produced.

The brain --- Passage of a relatively low current can produce wide spread cell depolarization and the equivalent to a grand mal siezure associated with loss of consciousness and most importantly suppression of respirations. This may lead to death if respiration is not supported.

The Heart --- First a little info on myocytes (heart cells). They undergo spontaneous electrical depolarization. A group of myocytes placed in a petri dish will individually undergo spontaneous seperate dopolarizations. This is associated with contraction of the cell. If watched for a while they will all synchronize and begin to contract in unison as the first cell to depolarize conducts to the next cell etc.. In the intact heart this results in the biologic pump doing is job. Now pass an electrical current through the heart muscle of the proper placement, magnitude, and duration (not hard to do) and you get multiple disordered waves of mucsle cell depolarization. The pump no longer pumps as the contractions of the cells are no longer ordered. This is self sustaining as the waves of depolarization spread, the cells repolarize only to be depolarized as the multiple wave fronts return in what could be compared to undesired positive feed back. This is ventricular fibrillation and is death. It is a self sustaining and is the reason for the counter shock which simultaneously depolarizes all of the myocytes to extinguish the "positive feed back".

So if you are witness to one of these occurances give CPR. You cannot give CPR after only watching it on television. It must be taught,studied, and practiced, not just once but as an on going thing. The concept that there is some sort of stored energy field causing this is just wrong. I have fooled with hearts suspended in Ringer's solution in a tank long enough to have observed this without having to call upon some sort of persistant undisipated self sustaining ungrounded energy field.

Now to Yuri's father's observation. We will assume that the observation was correct for the sake of discussion. Two things come to mind:(1) Spontaneous reversal of ventricular fibrillation, most likely to occur in otherwise healthy hearts and unusual, but possible. Two occurances in juxtaposition--- very low probability. (2) Central nervous system depression, possible, but unlikely. Supressed respirations for the time implied would result in extensive brain damage or death.

I therefore do not believe that Yuri's dad was lying, only mistaken. We cannot assume that,as the rooster may, that crowing makes the sun rise.
Learn CPR and keep in practice. Burial can come after it fails.

Sorry for this long diatribe,
73,
Sam, W5LU

my father had no reason to lie to me. Those two cases happened. He was a
(catholic) priest, he was called to give the last rights to persons. He took the
shovel (people were crying over the loss and were incapable to do anything),
dug the "grave" and in those two cases life returned.

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page ? FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/