[TowerTalk] CC&R's

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CC&R's
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:26:25 -0000
TT'ers:

Covenants and deed restrictions are private contracts.  They
can say anything they wish.  HOWEVER, if they aren't filed
with the government as a restriction upon a deed, then
the homeowner MAY be immune from ex-post-facto changes.

If the formative language enables the homeowners association
to establish rules for orderly development, from time to time,
with some membership voting requirement...then they can do
anything they wish, PROVIDING   THAT THE COVENANTS ARE RECORDED
AS PART OF THE DEED TO THE PROPERTY.  If the land was sold
and your deed doesn't specifically reference the CC&Rs, you
may be in the clear, legally.

NOW COMES THE HARD PART:  you need professional advice in forming
your strategy, not supposition or advice from amateurs.  Read the
fine print, and consult an ARRL VC.

And here comes advice from an amateur:  Make friends with
your neighbors.  Install nice landscaping and maintain it well.
Invite folks over for dinner now and then.  Put wires in trees,
not too ugly, and actively talk about it with the neighbors.
"I'm trying to slide these things into the trees, so they're
hardly visible...how'm I doing?"   Actively pursue the possibility
of RFI...best broached over a shared beer as you do yard work,
and are in sight of the unobtrusive wires...."you know, I had a
problem with one of my phones.  Bloody thing was a radio receiver,
due to a design flaw.  Changed it out and cleared up the problem,
but it was annoying until I figured it out. I want to be sure you
aren't experiencing the same thing."   You get the idea.  Being a
good neighbor is cheaper than legal warfare.

Jim Jarvis
jimjarvis@ieee.org