Re: [TowerTalk] CC&R's

To: jimjarvis@ieee.org
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CC&R's
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 11:30:26 -0600
Jim, et. al:

Years ago my XYL Cheryl (WY5H) and I looked at one development out in the country (one of those type that offer to pay youir gas, give you a 5 piece set of cookware, etc.) and asked to see the deed restrictions. I immediatedly saw they had a ban on outdoor antennas and told the salesman we couldn't move there. He said he'd get the developer to waive them, but then I said all the other people who had bought there already might be in a tizzy when I put up a 70 foot tower. They would end up suing me and the developer. Besides it was an easy way to get out of their sales presentation.

Tom, WW5L
Colleyville TX (between Dallas and Fort Worth TX)

Jim Jarvis wrote:

TT:

As I said...CC&R's are private contracts.  They were often written
by original developers, who may not have been lawyers.  You MUST
read the fine print.  The exchange below typifies this.

-0-
(My CC&Rs don't appear to have any included provisions to add rules whenever

the HOA board thinks they want to.)

73, de Jim KG0KP

By the way, not to rain on your parade, but there's nothing keeping an

HOA

board from making a rule prohibiting antennas at any time, even if the
CC&Rs don't say anything about it, because, generally, the CC&Rs contain
provisions allowing the board to do just that.

-0-

My point, in yesterday's post, was 'get professional help,
prepare for battle, be a good neighbor with all that entails,
and anticipate that you'll have to present your case to the HOA
if they behave outside the rules.'  It is important not let a
homeowners association behave as if they DO have power which
they do not, just as it's important for an HOA to enforce rules
it promulgates.  Failure to do so, or spotty inforcement, subjects
them to challenge.

If your covenants clearly provide for the HOA to promulgate rules
as they choose...you're hosed.  Better be a REALLY good neighbor,
or move.

N2EA
jimjarvis@ieee.org