[TowerTalk] Orion rotator stuck. Help please.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Orion rotator stuck. Help please.
From: "Martin Sole" <msole@loxinfo.co.th>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:27:29 +0700
Folks,
A very good friend, Tony HS0ZDX, has a problem with his 2800, any help on
this problem would be much appreciated. I'm not too familiar with this
rotator but am thinking it might be a connection that has gone open circuit.
Details below.

Today, I was turning the antenna and the display changed from the usual
read-out as I was moving it, and it suddenly started counting down from 1000
instead of displaying degrees. I took my finger off the button (it had been
in manual mode) and it continued to countdown, nothing I pressed would seem
to stop this, so fearing a problem at the top, I turned off the power for a
few seconds.
  Turning the display back on, it displayed 882.0 (the whole display was 09
P 882.0) Now, the manual/handbook makes no reference to what "P" might mean,
and a number of 882 is a bit inexplicable. I looked at the tower, and the
antenna is facing more or less north. And will not turn. I followed the
instructions to set the control unit to its factory defaults, and now it
says "L20" which means it is 20 degrees past the 0/360 degree point.

Thanks es 73's
Martin HS0ZED