Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Painting

To: Dave NØRQ <n0rq-1@dfwair.net>,"Bill Austin" <billaustin@powernet.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Painting
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:12:37 -0400
At 12:42 PM 4/13/04, Dave NØRQ wrote:

I have a Trylon, Bill.  I don't want to rain on your parade, and I am
NOT a painting expert...   but I would suggest making sure that
you *really* want to do that.  Painting it once might not be that big
of a deal, but imagine what is going to happen to it after a year, or
two, or three...   and a repaint job would be a real BIG pain to do!

Maybe someone will have a better answer for you...

(pics of mine at the URL below, if you're interested)

Special primers are available for galvanized steel, and I recall reading here that Trylon towers are made of steel that is galvanized before it is sheared, which means that rust can form on the edges in a couple of years.

I stripped my second-hand Rohn 25, used the galvanized primer, and then added a coat of good quality latex exterior paint. The resulting paint job is still good nine years later. Some epoxy industrial paints are even tougher. If it will help the acceptability of the tower, I'd do it.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
is back, at www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm