Re: [TowerTalk] Town Code Definition Conundrum

To: "Mark S. Adams, P.E." <msadams@acsu.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Town Code Definition Conundrum
From: Jeff Chambers <jeffchambers@cableone.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 05:10:38 -0600
Hi Mark,

My town has the code written almost exactly as you have written. They do not consider an amateur radio station a 'Telecommunications Facility'. They did require me to buy a $22 building permit, as they believed the tower was a structure that was not exempted by the UBC (more than one story tall is one that I remember), and required only one inspection, which was looking at the hole.

When I first spoke to P&Z, I was pleased to hear that they believed that they were prohibited from regulating amateur radio antennas (you just gotta love rural America!)

My tower is a TriEx W-51 (circa 1982), and I did have to get new drawings & calcs, but only for 70 MPH (got them from Kevin Tashjian, who fortunately has an Idaho stamp). I was expecting quite a hassle, but it was a breeze. I felt so lucky, I bought a lotto ticket, but apparently the tower project used all my good luck...

73 and best of luck,

Jeff KK7MQ
Twin Falls, ID

Build a mile of road, you can travel a mile......
Build a mile of runway, you can travel the world!