Re: [TowerTalk] Need some

To: "Kirk Harding" <kirk.harding@cox.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need some
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:06:27 -0700
From: "Kirk Harding" <kirk.harding@cox.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 2:44 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need some

> Living here in the rural south it becomes a problem when trying to find
> something slightly out of the ordinary.
>

> I'm building a weather tight junction box which will be mounted at my
tower.
> What I'm look for is copper sheet material 1/16 to 1/8 thick and 9 X 11
> inches in size.

McMaster Carr carries this kind of thing.  Yellow Pages for "metal" should
turn up someone who would do it mail order.

Does it need to be solid copper, or would a piece of copperclad circuit
board work?

 Also, I need 4 wx tight compression type fittings for coax
> (standard RG8 diameter) entry points into the box as well as 2 wx type
> fittings for control cables.  Sure would appreciate your input as to where
> might obtain these items.

There are standard weathertight feedthroughs used to pass cords into boxes
that fit into a standard knockout hole.  Home Depot, Lowes, and failing
that, any decent commercial electrical supply place (Graybar, etc.) carries
them.  They have a rubber grommet with a tapered outside, and a nut that
clamps down on the rubber, squishing it around the cord passing through.
One manufacturer is Hubbell (which is a division of something).  They're
available in a bunch of sizes, both for the outside (i.e. the hole in the
box diameter) and for the inside (the wire passing through).  I've used ones
for 1/2" and 3/4" trade conduit sizes for cable as small as Cat-5.  I've
seen even smaller holes.

McMaster Carr or W.W. Grainger both would carry them. If you order from
McMaster Carr, it will probably arrive a day after you order it. (I'm in the
Los Angeles area, and we used to get stuff that we ordered in late afternoon
in the early morning UPS delivery)