Re: [TowerTalk] Convert a Ham IV to a T2X?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Convert a Ham IV to a T2X?
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:12:28 -0700
Hi Rob,

The AlfaSPID rotator is designed for mast mounting. Take a peek at http://www.alfaradio.ca/alfaspid.html and http://alfaradio.ca/sm6fyq.html

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

Rob Frohne wrote:

Unfortunately the tower is too small to allow mounting any rotor inside it. I'll have to mast mount a rotor. I don't plan to put a large antenna like my old 4 element quad up, because it won't allow more than around 100 lbs of antenna, pipe and rotor. The prop pitch rotors are too heavy and don't mount easily to a pipe. I was going to use the Ham IV, but before I did that I had to open it up and find out why the indicator wasn't working. I found the broken bolt, and a broken end stop. I also got to thinking that those bolts don't hold much inside the tower, but in a mast mount situation, they are a lot more important. Then I got to thinking about the T2X with six big bolts on the outside instead of four small bolts bolted into the soft pot metal bell housing. :)

73,

Rob