[TowerTalk] Tower VS aeroplane suit dropped....

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower VS aeroplane suit dropped....
From: "AA6DX" <aa6dx@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:49:45 -0700
I've been following this story.   My query is this;  What would happen if a
plane flew into your Amateur Radio
tower(s), who would be responsible for replacing your costly investment?  In
this situation, the pilot was killed, and the suit was against his estate.
Anybody know of a situation of that ilk?  73 -- Mark  AA6DX   Far Northern
California

Communications Tower Drops Lawsuit Against Quebec Widow

But Will Profit If Other Suits Are Successful

Communications tower owner SpectraSite has dropped its lawsuit against the
Canadian widow of a pilot who crashed into its tower three years ago. But
don't think the company did so out of the kindness of its heart.
"It was actually a misunderstanding of Canadian law," Jean-Francois Lebrun,
Canadian spokesman for the North Carolina-based company, told the Canadian
Press. "They (Spectra officials) have given orders to their lawyers today to
dismiss the case against the estate and they'll go strictly with the
insurance company."
Instead, SpectraSite will benefit from the other lawsuits already filed by
broadcasters against the estate of Gilbert Paquett. If they win, SpectraSite
automatically wins as well.
Three years ago this month, his Cessna slammed into a broadcast tower in
central Quebec. His body and the wreckage remained tangled in the tower's
structure for five days until a demolition crew was able to recover them.
But that still leaves four other lawsuits pending against widow Francoise
Jolin, who said she was stunned to learn that she and her three college-age
children are the targets of $4.1 million in claims.
"It's a very sad story," said Lebrun, "and we didn't want to put any extra
pressure on her or extra grief. She didn't need that but it's done now and
we are trying to do better."
In a statement released to ANN, SpectraSite president Stephen Clark
apologized for filing the suit in the first place. "Our deepest sympathy
remains with the family of Mr. Paquette," he wrote.

FMI: www.copa.ca