Re: [TowerTalk] Tower VS aeroplane suit dropped....

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower VS aeroplane suit dropped....
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:28:44 -0700
Rich wrote:

Then there is the ambiguity of "over unpopulated areas."  If I live here is
it unpopulated?  What density per square mile constitutes "unpopulated?"  I
live in a lower density part of a densely populated county, but the argument
could be made that there is nowhere in this county that is "unpopulated."
Or, if he flies over my backyard, 200' behind my house, is that
"unpopulated," but directly over my house is "populated?"  I don't know that
this has ever been defined.
k4sb wrote:

> Well, it's been some time, but the absolute minimum altitude for any
> aircraft except the military is 500 feet above your location.(
> exception for air shows ) The military is allowed to go as low as 200
> feet, but only on clearly established routes. An exception also exists
> for military flights over unpopulated areas in clearly designated

FAR (14CFR91.119)

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

---

Looks like you get to make some decisions about "sparsely populated areas"... in (c)

It used to be, when 12inch N-numbers were required, that if you could read the N number it was closer than 1000 ft (visual acuity is about 1 part in 1000). With 3" numbers, though...

It is exceedingly difficult to accurately estimate vertical angles and sizes of flying things. If you ask 100 people to point up at an angle of 45 or 60 degrees, more often then not, they will be way off. Likewise, there's the "moon illusion" where the moon looks bigger close to the horizon (where you have a distance cue) than overhead.

Even trying to compare against known objects (antennas in the foreground) is iffy.

Jim, W6RMK