[TowerTalk] Weatherproofing Connections

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Weatherproofing Connections
From: "Mark ." <n1lo@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:06:39 -0400
Gerald wrote:

<< SNIP....After reworking the phasing system on a 48 yagi 2m eme array several times
due to water/condensation ingress I "discovered" a 3M product available from
Home Depot called Linerless Splicing Tape. This material consists of a stretchy
rubber tape with sticky on one side....SNIP...When time comes to open the connection, a single knife slice down the length of the tape will allow almost instant removal since the tape is not glued or otherwise stuck to the connectors. 73, Gerald/K5GW >>

Right on, Gerald. It's Scotch 130C, readily available, and works quite well. I use this and Scotch 33+.

1st layer - 33+ tightly wrapped (you can also put a half-twist when you start it and apply it sticky-side-out for super release-ability)

2nd and 3rd layer: 130C (these are wider than 1st layer to seal directly to cable jackets)

4th later - 33+ loosely wrapped (minimal stretching) for UV protection of the 130C.

--...MARK_N1LO...--

Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar ? FREE! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200414ave/direct/01/