Re: [TowerTalk] ? AMERITRON REMOTE COAX SWITCH

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ? AMERITRON REMOTE COAX SWITCH
From: "Bill VanAlstyne" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:22:33 -0600
I own this switch -- the model equipped with UHF connectors. It is also
available with N-type connectors. I've found that the switch remains relatively
"flat" well up past 50 MHz -- I feed my 6M yagi through one -- but somewhere
above that, it starts to introduce a measurable but modest amount of line
mismatch, loss, and increased SWR. This degradation just starts to be noticeable
at 144 MHz on my setup. I don't have 220 MHz capability, but at 440 MHz the
switch is really unusable. Of course they don't claim it will operate at 70 cm,
but since the degradation is noticeable at 2M, I would have to be skeptical of
Ameritron's claim of usability up to 250 MHz until I actually tried it there and
measured the degradation. Of course how much loss and SWR increase is tolerable
to someone is a subjective matter.

As regards contact cleaning, the guy who probably designed this box is on this
reflector, so he can chime in and address that question if he wants to. Relay
contacts, however, if they are designed and aligned properly, are self-wiping.
You shouldn't need to worry about cleaning them. (With any luck, we'll find out
if I'm right about that.)

Bill / W5WVO