Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259, good ones vs. bad ones

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259, good ones vs. bad ones
From: "Gary McDuffie, Sr." <mcduffie@actcom.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:59:38 -0600
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:10:41 -0500, Dave NØRQ wrote:

> With all this chat about PL-259 vs. N, I thought it might
> be nice to be practical for a moment.  Many of us use PL-259s
> 95 to 100% of the time, so the questions would be:

> what types/brands are "good" PL-259s?
> what are bad ones to avoid?
> and of course, what are good places to get good ones?  ;-)

I was about to ask the same question.  I generally don't buy connectors
without being able to hold them in my hand first, but I need to place an
order for some upcoming projects.  I've seen so-called silver/teflon
connectors that I wouldn't put on a chicken band system, but I've seen
some nice ones too.  Who is selling good connectors these days?  I would
love to buy Amphenol, but I hate their current plating.  It seems like
it is getting worse and worse, too shiny, hard to take solder without
excessive heat.

Gary

--
ag0n at arrl dot net
http colon slash slash garymcduffie dot com