Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259, good ones vs. bad ones

To: "Jack Berry" <jlberry@direcway.com>,"'Dino Darling'" <k6rix@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259, good ones vs. bad ones
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:04:15 -0400
Is the Teflon necessary at HF? I know it gets damage from
misplaced heat
pretty easily. Phenolic is rugged and seems to last a long
time. Are there
good reasons to go with Teflon over phenolic?>>

Jack,

We normally dip teflon wires directly in a solder pot to tin
them without ill effect. In my experience Teflon holds up
much better than phenolic materials with heat. The only
problem I see with Teflon is it can be pushed out of the
barrel easier.

The worse connectors are some weird plastics that appear on
offbeat connectors that Radio Shack and others use. That
stuff is just junk.

Almost any Teflon connector will be very good performance
wise. The only common potential difficulty is in the
threading and fit to the female. Even Delrin connectors work
pretty well. Just a few of the plastics are really poor.