Re: [TowerTalk] steppIR

To: "Rob Frohne" <frohro@wwc.edu>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] steppIR
From: "Thomas Beltran" <tbeltran@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 11:50:14 -0700
> Yes, but it isn't now.  One of the advantages of having a programmable
> adjustable antenna of my own design is that I can get in and tweak with
> the micro-controller code.

What one can do with a stock SteppIR, is make changes to the antenna element
lengths, and then save the dimensions.  Later, the control box indicator
will show a small symbol, indicating that the factory dimensions have been
changed.  There is also room for creating one's own antenna dimensions.
Although this may not be equal to being able to write your own code from the
ground up, it does almost encourage tweaking.  I wouldn't have the skill or
time to write my own code, but I do enjoy playing with it and an antenna
analyzer.  It may be useful to know exactly what can and cannot be done with
the existing antenna.  But I don't say this to discourage a new or better
product - the consumer always benefits.  Can't wait to see what you come up
with.

> Unspoken is the ability to design an antenna to work on 40 and 30
> meters...using longer BeCu tape than the SteppIR can fit in its
> molded motor housing.

The new yagi from SteppIR does go down to 40 meters.              Tom W6EIJ