Re: [TowerTalk] Mast Load Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast Load Question
From: Jim Schnaidt <kj0m@mchsi.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 06:52:37 -0500

On May 26, 2004, at 10:13 PM, Dave Hachadorian, K6LL wrote:

In Statics, this is a "sum of the moments" problem. The clockwise overturning moments about the thrust bearing must equal the counterclockwise moments. You didn't specify the mast weight, but let me assume that it weighs 5 pounds per foot.

clockwise:
(45# ant)(12')(.707) + (80# mast)(8')(.707)

counterclockwise:
(rotor force)(4') + (20# mast)(2')(.707)

Therefore:
(4')(rotor force) = 382 + 452 - 28
rotor force = 202 pounds

Thanks, Dave.

One question, though. Why the .707 in the calculation? Has this to do with the fact that the tower is laid over to about 45 degrees? I think the sin of 45 degrees is around .707. Is that correct?

It appears the bigger problem may be the ability of the tower raising fixture to handle the 250 extra pounds on the top of the tower when it's tilted over. I need to contact US Tower regarding this. Someone has emailed privately that someone told him 500# max at the top of the tower. With the chrome alloy mast and about 140# of antennas, I think I'm still within specs there but need to verify that. Otherwise, it seems the rotor bolt stress won't be near what I originally envisioned.

Thanks.

73,

Jim
KJ0M